Thursday, May 14, 2020

Open world games



Open world games 


During my essay project I have discovered through my networking that open world games are possibly more relevant to this project then other genres. I feel this may be due to the size of the environment and the fact that because there is more player choice, so an increased ability to explore and to stay in these areas. Transition areas in these games should be bigger while staying just as impact to the player. This does mean that more time is necessary to put in these areas and the designs should be more in depth.


If transition areas are ignored in these games, the game can come across as more of a slog for the player, making it feel needlessly large rather then a fully developed impact world.



Legend of Zelda 


The legend of Zelda series is a charming collection of games that are majority open world created by Nintendo. You play as a mute character Link, with charming fights and characters the series acquired many fans.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch) Game ...

Image by: nintendolife

Breath of the wild - One of the most recent games to the franchise and largest in scale. This game was a big step for the series and was loved by many fans and is regarded highly in the fan-base. The majority was well received and this is an important factor to bare in mind (as games are to fill the need/want of the majority consumer)
However as a fan of the series myself, I do feel that although the game was very good, I did have higher expectations of the game then what we received. From trailers to discussion I really felt that this game would present a large fleshed out beautiful world filled with colors and fantasy designs.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild guide and walkthrough ...
   Image by : Polygon


   When I played through the game, I felt that the majority colors were greens and browns, followed by light pastel colors such as beige and blue (example shown in image above). The colors of the environment felt to realistic and didn't stand out to me as this charming large fantasy world, but came across more of a large world of repeated design. The world didn't draw me in as much as the characters, story and game-play, and since the USP seamed to be the prospects of the world and environment itself I was largely disappointing from my own expectations.


   Compared to other games in the series, such as majors mask and ocarina of time. Those world despite having largely the same flaws, I felt got away with this a lot more as the worlds low poly style came across more cute and charming and the technology capabilities at the time were met to a good standard.

Similar but not the same: 'Ocarina of Time' vs 'Majora's Mask ...


Left: Ocorina of time. Right: Majoras mask by  


ways I feel the transition areas could have been improved and had more of a 'wow' factor on the player-  I think the biggest problem in the environment is the colors as they effect the impression of the world very early on despite the designs or repeated assets.














No comments:

Post a Comment