Friday, January 8, 2021

Owl spirit scripts

  Level and scripts

    

Furthering my designs of the level layout, I created the draft scripts for the stories and figured out the locations that I wanted for the player to meet the owl spirits.


First Level

The first level is the level where I want the player to meet the owl spirits that communicate with each other, rather than the player. I'm interested in testing the level of interest the player shows towards picking up on the narrative and what atmosphere this creates in the transition area. 


First level map By Yasmine Brough

First level script By Yasmine Brough


Second level


 The second level is where the owl spirits will be on their own - able to see the player and be interacted with. The owl spirits can speak directly to the player now. However for the script I still want certain aspects of the narrative to be interpretive; such as who the player character is. In this map the owl heads will always face the player and will turn to face them no matter where they are. This makes the owl spirits in this level a lot more focused on the player directly. I am interested to test the players emotional response to the contrast between the two. 


Second level map By Yasmine Brough

Second level script By Yasmine Brough

Practice map


Practice map By Yasmine Brough


Putting my assets in to UE4 I created a small test area so I could see how everything looked together and to work on the blueprints. 


Owl Spirit By Yasmine Brough

The owl spirit in the test map was originally 'lit' in UE4, giving off more shading and different hues on the mask that I felt were quite effective tonally. However, I changed this to be 'unlit' while building my first level because the appearance became more striking. The pupils gave off a better effect in this way, and the mask being bright white drew attention towards the owl spirits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment