Friday, January 8, 2021

Level Designs

 Level Designs

     The first designs for the graveyard layout were very square. I liked the idea of keeping it this way so that the environment looked spacious despite having a more linear path through it. I designed it this way so that I could keep everything feeling enclosed and have everything more spaced out. However while researching graveyards I felt that the ones that were more spacious felt empty. Although this in itself can be a good emotion to convey in the scene I started to realize that I would have to block the player of from the majority of the scene to keep the tone between meeting each owl spirit. This encouraged me look further in to graveyards that had more obscure shapes.  


First Graveyard level designs By Yasmine Brough

First graveyard level designs By Yasmine Brough


Image From Graveyard Records
   

After seeing images such as this, I loved the imagery of the graveyard being in sections. This helped keep everything more spacious while having little scenes in each area. In the image of this gate, for example, I really liked the way the path wasn't directly forward and was to the side. This meant the first impression would be of a little uninterrupted area. I updated the designs for the level to match this form of layout. 

Layout re-design By Yasmine Brough


No comments:

Post a Comment