Friday, January 10, 2020

Corridor Project

The Corridor Experiment

The Corridor. A simple example of an environment that is typically used as a transition area in games and a good place to begin experimenting. For this I'm going to produce multiple corridors testing a  transition technique for that area and its effect on the player. Experimenting and testing multiple methods, so that I can later apply the best methods to create a transition area that is extremely effective.

For the first set of corridors i decided to test the effect of 'stuff' on a player. Props can be an effective way of getting the player to think more about the world that they are in and increase the experience of the environment while not being to direct, as a method this is also not very time consuming for designers to add to there transition areas. A good example of this is the environments in Bioshock. There are so many props that bring the chaotic environments to life, and really make you think 'whats going on here?' Each room telling a different story.



I wanted to test how effective props can be used to bring subtle intrigue to the environment and to get the player thinking while not forcing them to stay within the corridor. Testing and comparing weather subtler props work better then dramatic ones. To test this I am going to design some props that i want to stand out to the player. My goal, to question the test player at the end of there play-through to see if these props were the ones to stand out, which one stood out more and why.

 To begin I needed to select what setting and genre I would go for. After deliberating with my tutor I decided to go for a horror themed genre, in a Victorian hospital setting.

                                               
                                            Brainstorm of Ideas by me and my tutor

No comments:

Post a Comment